Colorado winters are full of adventure, beauty and excitement. With so many incredible winter activities to choose from, it can be hard to decide which ones to try. From skiing and snowboarding to snowshoeing and ice fishing, here are 20 cool Colorado winter activities to try this season.
Skiing and Snowboarding
Colorado is home to some of the finest ski resorts and backcountry skiing in the world. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, you’ll find plenty of terrain to explore. From Colorado’s world-renowned resorts like Vail and Aspen to smaller, more intimate ski areas, you’ll never run out of places to ski. And if you’re feeling particularly adventurous, you can take a powder day and explore the backcountry.
If you’re looking for a slower-paced winter activity, snowshoeing is the perfect way to explore the beauty of Colorado’s winter wonderland. You can find guided snowshoe tours throughout the state or explore on your own. Snowshoeing is a great way to get a good workout while taking in the stunning views of the mountains.
Ice climbing is an exhilarating winter activity that’s becoming more popular in Colorado. Experienced climbers can take advantage of the many ice climbing routes throughout the state, while those just getting started can take part in guided ice climbing tours. Whether you’re an experienced climber or just getting started, ice climbing is a great way to challenge yourself and explore the winter landscape.
If you like to fish, you’ll love ice fishing. Colorado is home to some of the best ice fishing in the country. You can find everything from stocked trout lakes to small mountain streams. Whether you’re fishing for trout or pike, you’re sure to have an enjoyable time out on the ice.
If you’re looking for a more thrilling winter activity, snowmobiling is the perfect way to explore Colorado’s backcountry. You can rent snowmobiles at many of the resorts and explore the trails and terrain on your own. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even take a backcountry snowmobile tour and experience the beauty of Colorado’s wilderness.
Snow tubing is a great way to have fun with your family and friends. Many ski resorts throughout the state offer snow tubing, and some even have dedicated tubing hills and runs. This is an exciting and easy activity for everyone, from young kids to adults.
Take a break from the slopes and explore the winter landscape on horseback. You can find guided horseback rides at many of the resorts and ranches throughout the state. There is nothing quite like the feeling of riding a horse through a winter wonderland.
Experience the thrill of dog sledding in Colorado. You can find guided tours throughout the state or take part in a race. Dog sledding is a great way to explore the winter wilderness and experience the beauty of Colorado’s winter wonderland.
Ice skating is a great way to stay active and have fun during the winter months. You can find outdoor ice rinks throughout the state, or for a more unique experience, try ice skating on a frozen lake. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced skater, ice skating is a great winter activity.
If you’re looking for a unique winter activity, winter camping is the perfect way to explore Colorado’s wilderness. You can find plenty of camping spots throughout the state, from rustic mountain cabins to backcountry tent camping. Winter camping is a great way to experience the beauty of the mountains while staying warm and cozy.
Colorado offers a wealth of winter activities for all ages and skill levels. Whether you’re looking for an adrenaline-filled adventure or a slower-paced experience, you’ll find plenty of cool Colorado winter activities to try. From skiing and snowboarding to snowshoeing and ice fishing, there are plenty of ways to explore the beauty of Colorado this winter. So grab your gear and get ready to explore the majestic beauty of Colorado’s winter wonderland.
In winter, the options for outdoor activities in Colorado can seem limited. But Colorado is full of winter activities to keep you busy and entertained! Here are some of the most interesting and fun winter activities you can find in this great state.
1. Skiing/Snowboarding- Colorado is a great destination for snowboarding and skiing, with some of the best resorts in the world. This winter season, hit up one of the ski destinations in Colorado, like Aspen, Telluride, Breckenridge, or Copper Mountain.
2. Ice Skating- If skiing and snowboarding aren’t your style, why not give ice skating a try? Colorado has many great ice skating rinks that are ideal for those looking to glide on the ice. Or, you can bring some of your friends to an outdoor skating pond for even more fun.
3. Snow Tubing- Looking for a more relaxed activity? Snow tubing is a great option. All you need to do is strap on a tube, hop on the sled, and off you go! Colorado has lots of different locations offering snow tubing, so you can race your friends down the run.
4. Snowshoeing- Don’t limit yourself to just skiing and snowboarding. Snowshoeing provides an excellent way to explore the wilderness and take in the beauty of nature. Colorado has plenty of trails for snowshoeing, and you can find organizers offering guided tours if you’re looking for something a bit more adventurous.
5. Sledding- If you’re looking for a classic winter activity, you can’t go wrong with sledding. Grand Mesa, near Grand Junction, is one of Colorado’s most popular sledding spots, as it has nearly 18 miles of sledding hills. Make sure to bring a sled and explore the hills for an unforgettable winter experience.
6. Ice Fishing- Fishing may be seen as a summer activity, but it can be enjoyed year-round. Ice fishing is a unique way to catch fish, and Colorado offers some of the best locations to do so. From Blue Mesa Reservoir in Gunnison to the Tarryall Reservoir near Fairplay, you’ll find plenty of places to catch some cold weather fish.
7. Snowmobiling- Adrenaline junkies will love snowmobiling, as it’s an exciting way to explore different locations in an entirely unique way. Colorado has various snowmobile trails and some of the best groomed conditions for maximum enjoyment.
8. Ice Climbing- If you’re looking for a thrilling winter activity, then you should definitely try out ice climbing. This is done in the frozen areas of lakes, rivers, or even mountain cliffs. You can find plenty of areas in Colorado that offer this thrilling experience.
9. Dog Sledding- Dog sledding is a fun experience, and you don’t need to be in Alaska to do it. Colorado has plenty of professional dog sledding providers, so you can experience the wild in a whole new way.
10. Sleigh Rides- Treat yourself and your friends to a true winter wonderland experience with a sleigh ride. You’ll explore a winter wonderland with the warmth of a cozy blanket and the steadiness of a horse-driven carriage at your disposal.
Overall, Colorado is teeming with great winter activities. If you’re looking for something unique and exciting to do as the weather gets colder, you’ll be spoilt for choice with Colorado’s winter activities.